Wednesday, October 17, 2012

If Women Are Going to Work ...

... then we've gotta make some changes. That's totally what Mitt Romney said last night ... which was also in 2012.

The more I've thought about this, the more staggering it is. Everyone is focusing in on the "binders full of women" line. That was awkward. But what followed was painfully backward and ignorant. Romney said:
I recognized that if you're going to have women in the workforce that sometimes you need to be more flexible. My chief of staff, for instance, had two kids that were still in school.

She said, I can't be here until 7 or 8 o'clock at night. I need to be able to get home at 5 o'clock so I can be there for making dinner for my kids and being with them when they get home from school. So we said fine. Let's have a flexible schedule so you can have hours that work for you.

We're going to have to have employers in the new economy, in the economy I'm going to bring to play, that are going to be so anxious to get good workers they're going to be anxious to hire women.
"IF" you're going to have women in the workforce??? We do! I think there might be several! And, apparently employers are only hiring them because they're desperate. You know, because we've run out of men to hire. I'm not making this up. He said, in the "new economy," employers "are going to be so anxious to get good workers they're going to be anxious to hire women." Good God! Not that!

Wait a second Mr. 1950s caricature ... who will take care of the children (the job women are supposed to be doing)? Mitt responds it'll be okay. We'll just need to be more flexible. Women working! What's next?

I must say I'm a bit perplexed why this is not a bigger deal.

No comments: